CASC continues to advocate for the science centre and science museum sector. We are committed to providing our members with the most up-to-date information to help organizations navigate this difficult time.
Next Tuesday there will be an opportunity for Senior Leaders and Executive Team Members of CASC Full Members to share their reopening plans and considerations with each other. More information on the Zoom meeting will be sent via email.
CANADIAN COVID-19 ANNOUNCEMENTS
> Looking Ahead – COVID-19 Recovery
Several provinces have begun announcing plans for reopening economies. Timelines and actions vary, but can provide CASC members with information on what to expect in the upcoming weeks and months. CASC will continue to add links to provincial recovery plans as they become available:
> Guidelines to reopening
For organizations looking for information on how to prepare to safely reopen their operations in the coming weeks, the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety has a series of bilingual guidelines available to businesses regarding COVID-19.
> Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan Details on support for individuals and businesses.
> 2020 CASCADE Awards - Online With Friends and Colleagues!
Though we cannot be together in person this year, we're looking forward to celebrating the outstanding people, programs and exhibits from across the CASC network with you virtually.
More details on the virtual event will be shared across our social media platforms and event e-blasts.
View the 2020 CASCADE Award Finalists.
> CASC AGM Postponed
The annual CASC AGM, which normally takes place at our annual conference, will be postponed until a later date in 2020.
> CASC COVID-19 NEWS LETTER UPDATE
We will start sending out our CASC COVID Newsletter out every 2 weeks going forward. The next newsletter will be sent on May 21, 2020.
> Video Discussion Groups
Topic: Reopening Plans Discussion
Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:00 PM Eastern Time (Canada)
An opportunity for Senior Leaders and Executive Team Members of CASC Full Members to share their reopening plans and considerations with each other. An invitation will be sent via email. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive an invitation and would like to join.
Topic: Webb-inar for Science Communicators
Friday, May 8, 2020 11:00 AM Eastern Time (Canada)
Set to launch in 2021, the James Webb Space Telescope is the most complex and powerful space telescope ever built. Canada has contributed a scientific instrument and a guidance sensor. Canadian scientists will take part in its exciting science mission that promises to change our understanding of the universe. Join the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) to learn more about this mission, Canada’s contribution, and ways to engage your audience in this exciting space adventure! Presented by Jean Dupuis, program scientist for Webb at the Canadien Space Agency
This Webb-inar will replace the Friday, May 8th Supporting Teachers/School Closures Chat. An email invitation was sent to all CASC member staff working in programs, education, outreach, camps and childcare. Please contact email@example.com if you did not receive an invitation and would like to join.
Topic: CEO Discussion Forum
Friday, May 8, 2020 2:00 PM Eastern Time (Canada)
CASC will continue coordinating a "CASC COVID-19 Response Discussion" for CASC Member CEOs and Executive Directors. Invitations are sent via email. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive an invitation and would like to join.
As we all continue to navigate this rapidly-evolving global situation, CASC is here to help, support, and connect our community during these challenging times. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have ideas for how we can further support your organization.
NEWS FROM OUR NETWORK
> CASC Members Helping to Plank the Curve
We want to acknowledge and thank CASC members who are supporting health care providers face this global pandemic.
Ontario Science Centre: Staff create a beautiful video montage to thank front line workers.
> CASC Members are supporting families and educators.
The "Science at Home" page on the CASC website is updated on a regular basis so that CASC members can see what each other are doing.
Entomica Insectarium: MEET A BUG, FEED A BUG, MAKE A BUG - a new Friday series on Facebook !
Manitoba Children's Museum: Get a Daily Dose of Play. Check out their May schedule for weekly themes and curated activities that are designed to help you engage your whole family from the comfort and safety of your home.
The Museum of Natural Sciences at the University of Saskatchewan: Staff from the museum and the Science Outreach team from the College of Arts and Science delivered 700 educational science kits to schools in the Saskatoon area.
ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM COMMUNITY COLLABORATORS & FRIENDS
> Canada Innovation Week The event, originally scheduled from May 19-29, 2020 has been postponed to the Fall. Stay tuned for more on how you can take part and join us over the next weeks and months as we build community around Canadian Innovation
> Call for Panel Proposals for the Canadian Science Policy 2020 Conference. CSPC 2020 will be held virtually through the week of November 16 - 20, 2020.
NEW PANEL SUBMISSION DEADLINE: JUNE 12, 2020
> Pint of Science Event Come enjoy fun online science talks for free on May 11-13th with Pint of Science! 55 scientists are eager to share their passion with adults or kids. Please visit the website for program and registration.
> Destination Canada Webinar with Minister Joly. On May 12, Destination Canada will host a webinar featuring Minister Joly to provide an update to the tourism industry. Details can be found on the Destination Canada website.
> AZA Webinar on Virtual Camps in action. The Association of Zoos and Aquaria hosted a webinar on April 27 addressing virtual camps and other adapted programming for their Education group on the AZA Network.
Watch the recording of this webinar.
> Informal Learning Review Special Issue: Navigating our work in the midst of COVID-19. The editors of the Informal Learning Review are offering free access to a special issue that contains 30+ thought pieces from field leaders on navigating and learning from the COVID-19 crisis.
> Canada Post Community Foundation The mission of the Canada Post Community Foundation is to make a positive impact on the lives of children in the communities Canada Post serves by supporting registered charities, school programs, or local initiatives that benefit children. Applications must be submitted by May 28, 2020. Visit the Foundation's website to review the funding guidelines and apply online.
> NSERC Science Communication Skills Grant NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE June 15, 2020. The NSERC “Latest News” page lists all the NSERC grant deadlines that have been extended: here.
STATUS OF CONFERENCES RELATED TO OUR SECTOR
- Canadian Museums Association (CSA) November 18-20, 2020 - Montreal, Quebec
- American Alliance of Museums Virtual Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo May 18 and June 1 to 4, 2020: These virtual events replace the canceled 2020 AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo (previously scheduled for May 17-20, 2020). Registration is open.
- Serious Play Conference June 23 to June 25, 2020: The Serious Play Conference, now being held online, is a leadership conference for professionals who are exploring the use of game-based learning, sharing their experience and working together to shape the future of training and education. Registration is open.
- International Conference of the Learning Sciences June 19 to June 23, 2020: For ICLS 2020, the ways of understanding learning will be highlighted, revisiting the multiple ways of looking at learning, with an eye toward opening new conversations and enriching existing ones. In-person conference cancelled; for updates about virtual conference status, see the conference page or COVID-19 updates.
- International Society for Technology in Education Conference & Expo:The event will now be held November 28 to December 1, 2020, in Anaheim, California. COVID-19 conference plans can be found here. Registration relaunches May 15.
- Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Network announced that its 2020 conference in Aberdeen will be postponed. Alternative dates of March - April 2021 are being considered and will be announced as soon as possible.
- Science Events Summit May 31 to June 2, 2020: Planning for the 2020 Science Events Summit is suspended but will be revisited in late April if it is safe to meet for an impromptu gathering. Join the free waitlist for updates.
- Association of Children's Museums InterActivity May 5 to 8, 2020
- National Institutes of Health SciEd (SEPA) May 26 to 29, 2020
- Canadian Association of Science Centres (CASC) May 27 to 29, 2020
- Ecsite Conference June 11 to 13, 2020
- Visitor Studies Association Annual Conference July 15 to 18, 2020